[CentOS] CentOS 4 Software Raid1 questions

Lee Parmeter leejpar at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 17:20:33 UTC 2005

Software Raid 1:
===============

I ended up first creating a software raid1 with a missing
2nd drive. Then I created the file system on /dev/md0 and
mounted it. Once mounted, I copied the data from the
original drive to the raid drive. Then I unmounted the
original data drive and defined it as the missing raid1
drive.

The next problem I had was that the raid did not
automaticly start when the server booted so I got an fstab
error for /dev/md0. The solution turned out to be creating
a mdadm.conf file. Once the config file had DEVICE and
ARRAY defines for the raid, I could both manually restart
the raid and it would auto startup at boot. So the /dev/md0
lines in fstab work.

I did not find any information on the web concerning the
requirement of the mdadm.conf file and the relationship to
the auto start of the raid. I had to work a bit in the dark
to get it to work as I thought it should.

Lee Parmeter Emperor, linXos - The Flying Penguin
http://www.linXos.com
Linux Registered User #337161

'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

The United States is NOT a democracy, it was founded as a Republic!

God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy! - Lee Parmeter