[CentOS] CentOS 4 Software Raid1 questions

Lee Parmeter leejpar at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 20:00:19 UTC 2005

--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 12:20, Lee Parmeter wrote:
>
> > I did not find any information on the web concerning
> the
> > requirement of the mdadm.conf file and the relationship
> > the auto start of the raid. I had to work a bit in the
> dark
> > to get it to work as I thought it should.
>
> I think if you set the partition type to FD with fdisk,
> the
> system is supposed to figure everything out automatically
> at boot time.  I have, however, had some trouble when
> moving
> pairs of disks built on one machine to a different one
> and
> would generally prefer to control it with a definition in
> file if possible instead of having the system guess. If
> you
> have both, I'm not sure which wins.  If you find
> documentation
> on the detection order or how to move devices, please
> post
> a link.

I did not mark the parition type to FD so apparently the
kernel or mdadm just executes and looks in the ndadm.conf
file.

When trying to start the raid manually, I found that the
raid would fail unless I passed the partion assignments on
the commandline to mdadm. However, when the DEVICE and
ARRAY are defined in the mdadm.conf, the partion info was
not required, just the device name, "/dev/md0". So, I think
the raid failed to start at boot due to not enough
information being available for it to startup, thus the
mdadm.conf file being required.

Anyway, that's what my experince told me!

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Lee Parmeter Emperor, linXos - The Flying Penguin
http://www.linXos.com
Linux Registered User #337161

'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

The United States is NOT a democracy, it was founded as a Republic!

God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy! - Lee Parmeter