[CentOS] Default CentOS 4 desktop

Collins Richey

crichey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:40:02 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 7:26 AM, ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>
> change to DESKTOP ="KDE" to change KDE at start.
>
> I've always have had problems with redhats automated switchdesk tools...
> On Monday 04 April 2005 07:03, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 07:54 -0400, Chris Hammond wrote:
> > > Simple question that I appear to be missing the answer to, how do I
> > > specify the default desktop?
> > > I know I am probably going to kick myself when I find out but the guy I
> > > work with and I just can't
> > > seem to find it. :(
> >
> > switchdesk
> >
> > (as root)

I don't know anything about switchdesk.

1. To create a new desktop definition, copy
/etc.X11/dm/Sessions/gnome.desktop to ... yourfavorite.desktop and
edit to change the GNOME values to YOURFAVORITE and set the correct
executable name.

2. In order to set the default desktop to something other than GNOME,
go to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and set the value below (default is
false):

ShowLastSession=true

3. Login as YOURFAVORITE, and gdm will ask you if you wnat
YOURFAVORITE as the default desktop choice.

Enjoy

--
 Collins
       When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,