[CentOS] Running another gnome or kde on virtual console [SOLVE]

ijez

ijez at time.net.my
Mon Aug 1 03:19:12 UTC 2005

Hi Mark,
Firstly, I'm really thank you for your valuable info and guide..

> Alternately you could add an entry like this to your
> .bashrc file
> mytty=`tty`
> # start icewm automagically if we are logged into console 2.
> # Give a 5 second grace period to abort with ctrl-c
> if [[ $mytty = "/dev/tty2" ]] ; then
>   echo "Starting icewm.  Hit ctrl-c to abort"
>   sleep 5
>   xinit /usr/bin/icewm -- :1
> fi

Kewl, i going to try this one..
So, if i want to running gnome, i need to replace the
    xinit /usr/bin/icewm -- :1
    xinit /usr/bin/gnome-sessions -- :1
right?

Thanks for these trick and tips..

> Not to point out the obvious - but you don't have to run a whole
> desktop on these alternate displays.  You run say a game, or a web
> browser in fullscreen mode, or an openoffice presentation in fullscreen
> mode, etc, etc, etc.

Yup, why I need this is because I need to run remote desktop on CentOS to admin a couple of windows server box without monitor attach ( Of course when I get my head over CentOS, all those server will be replace by CentOS too :)) and need to run it on full screen mode, the only problem I face was, I couldn't switch to another applications  or another remote desktop client  running on same virtual desktop on CentOS if I run remote desktop client in full screen mode.. that why I choose to run it 'dedicate' on 'another' virtual console.. nah, I have a feeling like running the desktop using KVM switch with this setup, thanks :)

Since I running multiple gnome / kde on virtual console just to have a remote desktop client up, is there any suggestions on the 'lite' desktop available 'ready-to-run' for gnome / kde replacement? I've 512MB of RAM on desktop, but to have 4 gnome / kde running at the same time just for remote desktop client, I think it's not so good for the computer and my healthy :) What I like to have is, the main desktop will running gnome / kde as it will be my working desktop, and the others virtual console will running a 'very very lite desktop' as long as it can have remote desktop running on it.. it's there any suggestions / advice  to have this kind of setup?

Thanks In Advances,
ijez