[BULK] Re: [CentOS] Running another gnome or kde on virtual console [SOLVE]

ijez ijez at time.net.my
Mon Aug 1 14:32:07 UTC 2005

Hi Mark,

> What do you mean by "have remote desktop running on it"?
> Are you connecting a vncviewer to a remote computer?  If that
> is the case you can run *no* desktop.  Just run a vncviewer
> in fullscreen mode. i.e:
> xinit /usr/bin/vncviewer -shared -fullscreen -passwd ~/.vnc/passwd
> somehost:1 -- :1

Ok, here what i means.. I have a couple of MS Win2K box that have RDP services running and only allow access by my workstations.. i need to administer all those box from my new shining CentOS box.. So, to remote administer those server, i'm running tsclient on CentOS box and the problem when i connecting to those box in full screen mode of tsclient, i can't switch with ALT+TAB to any applications running on my CentOS box, it's just stick with the tsclient until i disconnect the connections.. That why i'm lookup for the other solutions by googling and found the used of virtual console and qingy applications.. It's possible for me to run tsclient like the vncviewer did? Anyway, i really don't want to mess with my server for configurations or installations right now as it was running on productions ( Going to get rid all those win2k server once i have really confort with linux and CentOS espeacially )...

> There are a whole gaggle of very good, very light desktops.  I
> often use blackbox when I want a light desktop (1-2 Meg memory usage).
> I'm fond of icewm and windowmaker as well.  I really like blackbox.
> It's very fast and no-nonsense.  The menus are easily configurable
> with a text editor.

No wonder, i have try blackbox for explorer replacement and really agree with you.. it really kewl!! This is the reason i'm start digging into the linux world :) Can i just install it by running yum install blackbox?

> You might try mwm or twm - they're included already and are
> quite easy on resources.

Ok, i try check it out...

> Since I've given you so much help, you won't mind if I offer
> some free advice.  You seen new to linux and eager to learn ...
> In the short term - do what you are doing ... ask for help from
> lists like this one.   In the long term, master bash shell syntax
> and scripting as well as a more proper programming language like
> Perl.  Browse the man pages and read a linux specific web site
> several times a week(linux today, newsforge, linux weekly news, etc).
> In other words - master the basics, increase your programming power,
> and keep abreast of new developments.

Thanks for your valuable advice, maybe i could first start with bash, do anyone have links or good book for me read as refferences?

> Follow that path and I'll be asking you for help in a year or two. :)

Nah.. you are expecting to much from me, years or two is too short to master all those i thinks.. :)

> Oh and at home - ditch windows for linux( or at least dual boot it).
> Nothing makes you learn to linux quicker than actually using it
> for day to day work.

Yup, I'm already do that.. my first linux desktop is Ubuntu, but I replace it with CentOS after 2 days of using it ( I think it too much if I cannot play my favorites VCD with stock desktop install came with it and after goggling for VCD player, I lost when I try to install MPlayer on it - Ubuntu does not have mplayer in their repository!!, but with CentOS and with help of dag repository, yum install mplayer is doing everything.. this so kewl :))

Anyway, thanks for your time and valuable info, I'm really thanks you..

Thanks In Advances,
zamri