[CentOS] Re: Japanese Language Support? -- same system, multipleuses with multiple languages

Ian Wells

esmith at wellsi.com
Mon Aug 1 20:53:16 UTC 2005

From: "Dave Gutteridge"

> But if I understand this correctly, this would cause the interface of that
> program to be in Japanese as well. The only thing I want to make Japanese
> is my input. So, for example, when I use Firefox in Windows, all the menus
> and buttons are in English, but when I type a search into Google, I can do
> so with English or Japanese characters at my discretion.

My experience may not be relevant as its FC4 rather than CentOS, but I hope
it may help.

I have a Fedora Core 4 machine which has an English UI but allows a choice
of English and/or Japanese input.

I can quite happily switch between inputting in English and Japanese using
the iimf.
I followed the instructions here
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html

When I have time I could re-install CentOS4 and try to achieve the same
level of functionality

Ian