[CentOS] Opteron in 32-bit mode

Bards1888 bards1888 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 01:52:55 UTC 2005

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'm spec-ing a development server for some Haskell hackers. In
> particular, they need to be able to build and run the Glasgow Haskell
> Compiler (ghc), the x86_64 port of which isn't quite there yet.
>
> My current thought is to get an Opteron-based system, but load it
> (initially, at least) with the 32-bit i386 version of CentOS. That
> buys me near-term ghc compatibility. In the future, should ghc become
> 64-bit clean, I'll be able to upgrade to a full 64-bit OS.
>
> The alternative is to build the server around high-end ia32 chips and
> leave the Opteron for another day.
>
> Does anyone have experience running a 32-bit-only OS on Opterons? Are
> there any gotchas?

I planned on doing a similar thing until I found that for some reason,
cool & quiet does not seem to work unless in 64 bit mode under linux at
least. I decided to go 64 bit because the server was going to be running
in my garage and I wanted it as cool as possible.

Has anyone managed to get CPU Throttling/CNQ working on a 32bit linux ?

Bards.