[CentOS] How to login to a new session?

duffmckagan mckagan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 11:33:06 UTC 2005

I will surely try this lengthy procedure.
Is the property disabled with KDE or is it with Cent OS that I can't
do this in a simple way?

I remember Mandrake had this option of Starting a new session.
Why not Cent OS?
Do I need to add something to my existing KDE?

> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 21:10 +1200, Tom wrote:
> > duffmckagan wrote:
> > > I have Cent OS 4 with KDE.
> > > How do I enable an option of starting a new session with the current running?
> > >
> > > What I want to do is.....If I Lock my Screen, the other user should be
> > > able to Login to a new session on the Same computer.
> > >
> There was just a thread on the list that explains how to do this
> perfectly :)
>
> First, you lock your screen, then you press ctrl-alt-F2 (or ctrl-alt-f3,
> f4, f5) and allow the other user to login at the console as the user you
> want.
>
> Then issue the command:
>
> xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session -- :1
>
> OR
>
> xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :1
>

> You would then use (one of these) ctrl-alt-f8, f9, f10, f11, f12 to
> access the session ... and ctrl-alt-f7 for your orginal session.
>
> For a third user, pick a console (ctrl-alt-f3) and do:
>
> xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :2
>
> (or you could do gnome)
>
> and it should go to the graphical console (ctrl-alt-f9).
>
> that will work easily for up to 5 users ... if you need more than that,
> other things would need to be done.
>
> > > I hope this is clear.
> > > Thank you.
> >
> > Ubuntu have this feature, switch users, but I haven't been able to do it
> > without losing the other session. [centos 3 & 4]

"No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."