[Bulk] [CentOS] hda dma seek errors

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 3 11:51:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:30 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Looks like the data cable to the drive is either broken or too long. At
> least if you see CRC errors - these normally happen on the transport
> medium and not within the drive itself.

There have always been ATA bus and drive arbitration issues at various
points in the Linux kernel as chipset and drive vendors differed on the
implementation of the ATA spec.  There was also a time when Hendrick (I
believe?) moved his ATA driver work out of kernel 2.4 (around 2.4.18?).

In such cases, these CRC errors and bus resets are very, very typical.

It's one of the main reasons I buy 3Ware Escalade 7006-2 and 8006-2
cards quite liberally -- to avoid having to deal with arbitrary ATA
issues due to chipsets and drives fighting and lack of support in
Linux's ATA driver to enforce discipline on either.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com