[CentOS] Re: Upgrade RedHat 9 to Fedora

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV
Wed Aug 3 14:59:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 10:26 -0400, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> sudo Yang wrote:

Gotta ask - is "sudo" a proper name or a nickname?

> > What would be the easiest way to upgrade 2000 servers from RedHat 9 to
> > Fedora or RedHat Enterprise/CentOS?  Also, 1/2 of these systems have 1
> > TB data partition that cannot be destroyed.
> >
> > Would an upgrade option work via Kickstart?

That would be my guess, but I've never dealt with anything close to that
magnitude of problem.

> Wow, are you working for Google? :).
>
> You should tell us about applications that run on it.

Also curious.

> Is a backup of the 1 TB partition possible?
> Is downtime possible for 1 server at the time?
>
> I would recommend against fedora and tell you to go with CentOS (and
> maybe send a little donation/offer mirror).  You'll thank yourself for
> the long life of updates and stability.

I STRONGLY agree.  Would not even consider Fedora for this large an
operation.  It's a nice platform to play with, but I wouldn't want to
bet my livelihood on a "perpetual Beta" like FC.  Please report your
experiences when you make the move.

Phil