[CentOS] Re: Upgrade RedHat 9 to Fedora

sudo Yang sudoyang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:56:39 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo-route.com> wrote:
> sudo Yang wrote:
> > What would be the easiest way to upgrade 2000 servers from RedHat 9 to
> > Fedora or RedHat Enterprise/CentOS?  Also, 1/2 of these systems have 1
> > TB data partition that cannot be destroyed.
> >
> > Would an upgrade option work via Kickstart?
>
> Wow, are you working for Google? :).

No, not Google.  We're in a completely different market.  We index
almost as many documents a google.  During a search/query, Google is
not required to return all documents -- we do.  Google only indexes
10,000 terms/tokens in a document, we have no limit.  If the document
is greater than 101K (after conversion), Google will not index; we
have no limit.  This info is from friends inside of Google.
Compliance market is completely different.

> You should tell us about applications that run on it.
> Is a backup of the 1 TB partition possible?
> Is downtime possible for 1 server at the time?

Our systems are mirrored (two servers contain the same data).
However, it would take too long to do this procedure on 2000 servers,
not to mention the fact that this would be an operational nightmare.

> I would recommend against fedora and tell you to go with CentOS (and
> maybe send a little donation/offer mirror).  You'll thank yourself for
> the long life of updates and stability.

Agree.    I had to mention Fedora because it's a "development" release
so ideas from here could be used.