[CentOS] Question driving external LCD from dell laptop

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 3 20:23:37 UTC 2005

Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I have a dell inspiron 8200 laptop running centos 4.1 just
> fine.  I want to connect it to an external 32 inch LCD.
> This laptop is dual boot windows.  I set windows up to
> 1024x768 and connected the LCD - it worked just
> fine. LCD max is 1333x768
> I then booted Centos 4.1 and set X to be 1024x768 also.
> rebooted the laptop just ot make sure.
> I then connected the LCD and it says can't display it...
> Any ideas on how I might get the LCD to display CentOS X?

Depends on the GPU chipset.

If it's an nVidia Go Mobile, you can use the nView features
of the Standardware (Open Standard, Proprietary Source)
drivers.  It will let you set the _exact_ scan ranges of your
32" LCD TV (I assume it's a LCD TV, given the size/scan
range), as well as the geometry for the 2nd head.

If it's an Intel i855G/915G, then I've had a real hissy fit
with mine.  I can't seem to get the i855G/915G to do anything
under Linux except send the _exact_same_ scan rate as it's
using for the LCD.  E.g., on my Toshiba Satelitte M35 series,
it sends the _exact_same_ scan rate out the miniDB15 as it
uses for the LCD.  I have _never_ seen that with any other
notebook I've ever used with a non-i8xx/9xx GPU (they always
send VESA-standard output signals).

So unless I don't know about some Intel tools out there for
Linux, I hate'em.  ;->

Never tried ATI Radeon Mobility.