[CentOS] And now onto the palm pilot with Kpilot

Dave Gutteridge

dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Aug 4 17:03:16 UTC 2005

I've looked up the Kpilot manual, and I think I have an okay idea of
what's going on with it.

I'm trying to get it's detection feature to find my Palm Pilot. CentOS
does seem to be able to recognize it, because if I run lsusb when
running a hot sync, I get the following:

[root at localhost dev]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0830:0060 Palm, Inc. Palm Tungsten T / Zire 71

That's encouraging. My Palm Pilot is actually a Tungsten E, not a T, but
I'm not sure that's a level of detail that matters at this point.

The Kpilot documentation suggest that I look for the palm pilot at
/dev/ttyUSB0. That didn't work, but I noticed in my /dev/ directory that
there was also a ttyUSB1. That didn't work either. But then I noticed
that both were only apparent when I was hot syncing my Palm, so they
must be connected to it.

Any ideas, then, as to why Kpilot is not acknowledging them as a Palm
device the way that lsusb does?

Dave