[CentOS] remove RPMs with cyclic dependancies.

Dave Gutteridge

dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Aug 4 17:28:08 UTC 2005

Okay, I tried installing OpenOffice beta, and I think I messed it up, so
I wanted to uninstall it.

I thought wilcards worked, so I tried:
[root at localhost program]# rpm -e openoffice*
error: package openoffice* is not installed

Okay, so I couldn't figure out how to remove a bunch of RPM packages at
once, so I did this:
[root at localhost program]#  rpm -qa | grep openoffice

And proceeded the labourous task of removing all of the RPMs listed one
by one.

But then I got down to some files that would say:
rpm -e openofficeorg-core01-1.9.122-1.i586
error: Failed dependencies:
        openofficeorg-core01 is needed by (installed)
openofficeorg-core08-1.9.122-1.i586

So then I'd remove the dependancy, and guess what?:
rpm -e openofficeorg-core08-1.9.122-1.i586
error: Failed dependencies:
        openofficeorg-core01 is needed by (installed)
openofficeorg-core01-1.9.122-1.i586

The two packages are dependant on each other so I can't remove either.
*sigh*
So, how do I remove them?

Dave