[CentOS] What's the Linux equivelant of an exe file? [SOLVED]

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Aug 5 09:52:25 UTC 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 09.06, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Well, this problem is sort of solved. I now understand that Linux
> doesn't just have an equivelant to ".exe", and that some reconfiguration
> of my thinking will be required to wrap my head around it. I'm going to
> go out and hunt for Linux books soon, and hopefully get more of a feel
> for this sort of thing.

Note that this contains only general help and was not meant to be applied to
the openoffice situation (where your solution below is much better).

For what it's worth, here's how I usually find the answer to "which
executables did this package install?":

rpm -ql PACKAGE | grep bin

It's not perfect and sometimes you'll get false hits, but I like it. It works
since almost all executables in linux are placed in directories called
something..bin...something.

If you're not strong on rpm commands, here's what it means in human-readable
form:
rpm query the list of files installed for package PACKAGE and pipe (feed) it
to grep that only lets lines that contains "bin" through.

/Peter

> As for Open Office Beta, it turns out that the problem in getting it
> started was that when I did the RPM install, I missed a subdirectory
> which had the RPMs for menu items and MIME integrations. So I
> uninstalled and reinstalled OpenOffice Beta, this time being careful to
> get all the right components lined up, and voila, I have OpenOffice Beta
> working like a charm. Menu icons and everything.
>
> Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. As is always the case, I not
> only solved the problem, but learned a thing or two about some related
> issues along the way.
>
> Dave

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |