[CentOS] sendmail refusing incoming connections from outside

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:23:34 UTC 2005

On 05/08/05, dan1 <dan1 at edenpics.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am scratching my head about sendmail for a simple thing:
>
> I have a CentOS 4 box on which I would like to receive e-mails.
> when I type 'telnet localhost 25' I can connect successfully to the sendmail
> service.
> Now if I type: 'telnet 192.168.0.30 25' on the same host the connection is
> refused.
> It also refuses connections from another host.
>
> I have edited the /etc/mail/access file and added:
> 192.168        OK
> But this doesn't help after a restart.
>
> Does somebody know why the connection is refused ? I can see that behaviour
> on several CentOS box I have so it seems to be the new default. What
> parameter should I change to make it be accepted ?

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-email-mta.html
--------------
Important
The default sendmail.cf file does not allow Sendmail to accept network
connections from any host other than the local computer. To configure
Sendmail as a server for other clients, edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
file, and either change the address specified in the Addr= option of
the DAEMON_OPTIONS directive from 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of an
active network device or comment out the DAEMON_OPTIONS directive all
together by placing dnl at the beginning of the line. When finished,
regenerate /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by executing the following command:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf