[CentOS] SMTP auth with Sendmail

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Aug 5 14:59:52 UTC 2005

On 8/5/05 2:52 AM, Peter Farrow wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have two machines, a Centos 3.4 machine and a Centos 4.1 machine.
> I have used the same sendmail.mc file on each, and 3.4 machine does
> plain SMTP auth with no problems, compiling the same mc file on the 4.1
> machine gives this error:
>
> xxxxx [x.x.x.x] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I usually see that message when the SSL/TLS handshake failed in some
way. Can you get a good connection to sendmail using openssl?

# openssh s_client -connect your.mail.host:25 -starttls smtp

> It reports this from the EHLO so all looks good:
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP

Hmm. It'd be helpful to know your authentication chain:

1. The contents of /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf

2. The contents of $MECH in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd

Also, is saslauthd running?

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com