[CentOS] Updating an RH3 system from CentOS

Mark Belanger mark_belanger at ltx.com
Sat Aug 6 11:46:55 UTC 2005

Colht, Charles wrote:
 > Can I maintain an RH3 system using centos packages? I admin a
 > non-profit's server and got them RH3 but the subscription has expired. I
 > would rather not reload the os, rather just update it using centos and
 > yum. I haven't worked with yum much, how do I configure it?

1. Copy all rpm s from centos CD's to a directory.
2. Create a yum repo:
    # cd /to/the/directory
    # yum-arch .
3. Make this directory accessible via the web or ftp
4. Create a yum.conf with an entry for your repo
5. To upgrade a client
    # yum -y -c /your/yum.conf -upgrade

Several months back I tested this with whitebox linux and
it worked.  I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't
work with CentOS.

-Mark