[CentOS] Java installation problem.

Rich Huff rich at richhuff.com
Sat Aug 6 19:00:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 18:31 +0000, duffmckagan wrote:
> I downloaded the   jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin    files and then
> run it as   ./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin.
>
> It resulted in an rpm file. and then i used
> rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm
>
> Everything went fine and I didn't get any error.
> But when I do
> java -version    ......i don't get any output.
>
> I would like to know whether java is installed on my system or not.
>
> PS: I have carried out all the proceses as root.

You still need to add the JAVA_HOME environment variable and add the
$JAVA_HOME/bin directory to your path.  I usually do this in
my .bash_profile

Look in /usr/java for the directory containing all the java install.
I usually install the jdk, not the jre, so the location may be
different.

Rich
--
Rich Huff <rich at richhuff.com>