[CentOS] proper use of alternatives framework

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:18:07 UTC 2005

So in a previous thread about java installs, I became more aware of
/usr/sbin/alternatives and the links in /etc/alternatives.  In an
effort to not get lost in that thread (and mostly because it's a
seperate topic and may help others when searching the list) I decided
to posit my question directly. Rather than hack like a caveman at my
installs of java and other things that fit into the alternatives
framwork, I've been reading the man pages and googling, but
sometimes I need things spelled out using crayons and small words. If
someone has some documentation or insight about using the alternatives
framework, including the --slaves options, I would be immensely
appreciative.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT