[CentOS] Re: KDE Upgrade from 3.3.1 to 3.4.2

Mon Aug 8 10:58:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 06:33 +0000, duffmckagan wrote:
> On 8/7/05, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> >
> > apt and yum are pretty much the same functionality.  With yum, you can
> > skip apt's 'apt-get update' step, and
> >
> > apt-get install foo => yum install foo
> > apt-get upgrade => yum upgrade
> >
> > -- Rex
>
> After going through a lot of headache of solving dependencies and
> conflicts manually, I finally got KDE 3.4 working.
> And wow......it looks good.
> Still I have to install a lot of additional stuff, and again there are
> so many dependencies.

It is your computer and you can do what you want :)

But, there are so many dependency changes and so many replacement files,
including many things that are not KDE, that I would not recommend
upgrading to either KDE 3.4 (or Gnome 2.10 for that matter) to a normal
user.  This is especially true if you want the stability of an
enterprise OS.

Not to say that those are not both great Display systems (they both
offer good things) ... but they might make some packages, compiled
against the older versions of either, not work correctly.

Again, I am not trying to tel people what to do, just point out that
once you make an upgrade as drastic as that (upgrading KDE or Gnome) to
CentOS-4, it is not really CentOS-4 anymore ... but more like Fedora
Core again.

Not that there is anything bad about Fedora Core ... it is just not
CentOS :)