[CentOS] Help required on pxe booting + installation of CentOS

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:01:48 UTC 2005

On 08/08/05, manish jain <goodredhat at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a (bugridden, idiotic) fedora 4 server with
> tftpd, nfsd and dhcpd support. I want to remove fedora
> from my network and initiate pxe installation of
> CentOS Linux on all machines on my network from my
> fedora box. I have the CentOS's pxe-kernel and
> pxe-initrd images. I have also compiled fedora's
> pxeboot file from the sources and placed it in
> /tftpboot/. Can someone please guide me through the
> steps I need to take to get CentOS to boot via pxe
> from my box and install from an NFS-exported directory
> containing the whole CentOS distribution ?

See the attached documentation exported from our wiki. It's had bits
stripped out but should give you some idea where you need to go. It's
quite rough in places and it's for Whitebox but should be near
identical for CentOS.

> Thanks for any help. And thanks also for CentOS. Red
> Hat is just murdering Linux with its distributions -
> Fedora is a great reason for people to use Microsoft
> Windows.

And, in the process, freely providing the resources for projects like
CentOS and Whitebox?

Will.