Bind Caching Nameserver <was: Re: [CentOS] Caching nameserver --Name Services Cache Daemon (nscd)>

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Wed Aug 10 16:56:47 UTC 2005

}
} Let me restate what i am trying to do and the original error:
}
} I have a centos-4 machine that acts as a samba file server and my ntp
} time server.  I now want to have it be a dns caching name server for my
} network since my firewall's caching is not long enough for me.  When i
} start it up i get no errors.  However,  when i try to use it from one of
} my internal hosts i get the following error:
} *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.200: No response from
} server
} Server:  jericho.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
} Address:  192.168.0.1
}
} Non-authoritative answer:
} Name:    cgalliance.org
} Address:  64.202.166.214
}
} 192.168.0.200 is named Enoch.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com and it's ip
} address is static.  192.168.0.1 is the Astaro firewall which i want
} Enoch to goto if the cached request is expired or not present.  I am
} sure i deleted something i was not supposed to in following various net
} guides.  I could reinstall the system but that is the windows way of
} doing things.  BIND is what i wish to use.  I have the base bind package
} and caching-name server installed.  I ma sure some conf files are either
} missing or broken.  For some odd reason BIND is NOT chrooted like some
} folks have said it should be and this could be the root cause.

what happens when you just type "dig" and hit enter while on "enoch"?

do you get a response? where does it say that response comes from at the
bottom?

for some reason im guessing that you do not have a hints file called
named.ca and although i went back and fully reviewed the threads on the
website, i might have missed something.

it seems to me that there is too much stuff that is not needed on the
named.conf file as well. if i remember right ipv6 can be turned off in
/etc/modprobe.conf with this addition

alias net-pf-10 off

i dont recall what you have to do to make it effective/active though ie how
to soft reload modprobe.conf

maybe i am way off. anyone?

is the daemon actually loading without errors? ;)

i gotta get outta here. catch ya all in a few.

--
Robert Hanson
Abba Communications