[CentOS] Bind Setup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:33:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 13:15, William Warren wrote:
> I highly appreciate everyone's help in the caching name server bit.
> Building on that one:
>
> Everyone knows my issues that i am having in terms of reverse lookup so
> the windows clients won't freak.  I have decided to switch focus..as it
> seemed to make sense.  I am now looking to setup a full DNS server for
> my internal network. Everything is actually set statically via DHCP
> using MAC addresses.(see attached jpeg).

I think the only difference is that you add the master entries
in your named.conf file and appropriate zone files for the
data for your internal zones.  I'd recommend trying webmin for
this because it will save the grunge work of building the reverse
tables.

> Do i have to manually enter every machine or can the dns populate the
> names and ips via dhcp?

You can make dhcp do dynamic updates, but for a small network the
simple-minded way is to put the names and IP numbers in DNS, then
put the names in the dhcpd.conf entries tied to mac addresses.
That way if you want to change an address, you do it in the dns
data and the dhcp will pick it up.

By the way, if you really don't want to know all this stuff, you
might like the SME server from www.contribs.org.  The next version
is going to be based on Centos4 and there is an alpha release
available now.  There are things I don't like about the system
but for small networks where one server does everything and you
want 'fill-in-the-form' administration it is a good fit.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com