[CentOS] Bind Setup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 19:10:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 13:48, William Warren wrote:
> actually I WANT to know this stuff.  It took me weeks to figure out
> basic NTP.  I could have gone the "easy" route but I am glad i didn't
> because now i can help others setup their own linux NTP servers.

Errr... There isn't that much that is useful for most people to
know about NTP other than how to point it at some servers.  Running
the GUI version of 'dateconfig' will do the right thing if you
click the 'network time protocol' tab and fill in the form.

> I am not sure the Astaro's DHCP does dynamic updates?(could you explain
> that or is it literally as it seems?)  i will ask them about that one.

There is a protocol used to send dynamic updates to a DNS server. It
was invented for people that don't know/care how names are assigned
and just hope it all works. There is a security mechanism that can
be used if you care a little bit - but setting it all up can be
harder than assigning the names in the first place.

> So basically to start off i will have to enter the names and ip
> addresses manually.  That's fine as the network itself is small.  I am
> going to be adding servers and clients to it though

With servers, you always have to assign the IP's.  Clients can be
dynamic and you can get by with generic names for their reverse
lookups (dhcp-nn.nn.nn.nn, etc.) unless you want log files,
packet sniffers, etc. to always have meaningful host names.

> 2 more clients running linux or windows for general usage
> 4 clients running mythtv in client mode
> 1 myth tv media server
> 2 notebooks(one will be to replace the gateway and one is for me).
>
> This is not all at once..this is long range.

I'd type the addresses into webmin until you get a number you
can't manage that way.  After a thousand or so you might have
trouble.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com