[CentOS] Bind Setup

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Thu Aug 11 14:12:18 UTC 2005

}
} However, at the same time I also see that discussing the CentOS
} distribution
} of bind is not a big deal for this list.
}
} As to the idea that, if people want to talk about BIND they should go to a
} BIND list, I would pose this question:  are people to have to subscribe to
} a
} couple of thousand mailing lists, each of which talks about a specific
} component distributed with CentOS, and really flood their inboxes, or
} should
} we be patient with a couple of dozen component-specific threads in this
} list,
} which is likely to be friendlier to CentOS-related questions on that
} component?  What is wrong with being patient, and courteous?
}
} Yes, if a thread goes too far, then perhaps it and its participants should
} discuss on a more specific mailing list, or privately.  But in my opinion
} at
} least this BIND thread hasn't gotten that far, and, for that matter, would
} probably not be on-topic for any of the BIND lists either.
}
} But what is CentOS but a distribution of component packages?  If we can't
} discuss issues with the components, what use is the list?  Discussing the
} vagaries of the way bootable ISO's and yum repositories work?  Discussing
} the
} very specific patches and mods made by Red Hat upstream of the CentOS
} build
} process (but that would be more appropriate to nahant-list or taroon-list,
} right?)?  What IS on-topic for the list, then?
}
} --
} Lamar Owen

right on Lamar,

good thoughts and some key words there like patient and courteous.

what i notice is that some or much of the time people forget how _easy_ it
is to be rude to others and how incredibly challenging and/or difficult it
can be to be nice to other people...

i on the other hand have to remember that i need not treat every situation
on this "list" or in "life" like a "very serious network down emergency"...
sheesh... can anyone relate? ;->

i guess when we help others, we want to help so bad sometimes that we might
become somewhat ineffective when we "experts" do not actually have our hands
on the equipments with the _illness_ so to speak.

--
Robert Hanson
Abba Communications