[CentOS] Need Dual Boot Installation Help

duffmckagan mckagan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 14:07:12 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, David Evennou <de at data-masters.com> wrote:
> OK, thanks!
>
> Yes, I would like the information to get Windows XP running after installing
> GRUB on the MBR.
>
> Side note:
> I have a Ubuntu Linux installation the was installed on a XP box. I followed
> the following instructions, both boot options, Linux and XP were available
> choices.

> Install GRUB on the first sector of the /boot partition. DO NOT INSTALL IT
> ON THE MBR!.
> If you are performing the Red Hat installation, for the "Boot Loader
> Installation" screen:
>   a.. Select "Use GRUB as the boot loader"
>   b.. Select Install Boot Loader record on "...First sector of boot
> partition".
>   c.. After finishing the Red Hat installation, reboot into Linux.
> I thought the same procedure would work, because the CentOS Installation
> gave me the choice of where to install GRUB using the "Advanced" setting.
>
> Note: the information above is from this link:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Yeah. I know the above article. and I have read that thing already,
but never bothered to try that out.

What you can do is...simply install Cent OS, and Windows XP in dual
boot configuration.
Install the GRUB to the MBR.

Sorry, but i can't really help you with the /boot partition. (I would
prefer to remove it, and make two partitions       / and /home.)
Now, when Cent OS is completely installed, take a look at the
following link, download the Correct RPM for your Kernel, and run it
as root

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/redhat9.html

root at computer#rpm -ivh <kernel module you have downloaded>

After that, edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to include the
following. (you can simply append this text )

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
	chainloader +1