[CentOS] FreeNX

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Fri Aug 12 16:22:31 UTC 2005

Hi,
my experience (I'm running self built latest nx from rick's source rpms
(on Centos 4.1) with latest NoMachine client under Linux on FC2) with NX -
still playing around with it though so maybe I'll figure it out...

I can get to a black X screen with red/white !M displayed (which after a
second or two vanishes).  Now if I ssh into the server and execute
"DISPLAY=:1000 xterm" then I get an xterm in the blank NX server screen,
in the xterm I can run "twm &" and quit the xterm and I have an TWM
session working (I've also tried kdestart and gnome-session and those work
as well).  However I can't get the server to automatically start these
programs by itself - it would seem that this part of the client-server
interaction ?suspends? part of the server process and no programs (like
the window manager or an xterm or whatever) are ever actually launched.
I'll look around, but for now the run nxclient to get nested X server nd
run ssh afterwards to launch an xterm is sufficient for my needs :)

Cheers,
MaZe.