[CentOS] Setting up YUM or APT

Sat Aug 13 11:33:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 10:49 +0000, duffmckagan wrote:
> I am using Cent oS 4 and I would like to setup the YUM repositories.
> Can anybody help me setup YUM?
> THat would be to install software, add repositories, and such necessary stuff.
>

> I know how to use apt-get, but not on Cent OS ( I will use either YUM
> or APT, at a time, but learn both of them, sooner or later.)

yum comes pre-configured with the mirror.centos.org set for the enabled
repos.

The base configuration file is /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

If you wanted to use a different mirror, you could change the baseurl=
to another location ... replace the mirror.centos.org/centos/ with the
path on the mirror that gets you to something that looks like this:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/

CentOS Mirrors are available here:

http://www.centos.org/mirrors/

For example ... there is a mirror in Singapore that is:

http://mirror.averse.net/centos/

You would make the changes to all your repos in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-
Base.repo to use that.

One neat feature for yum is you can have multiple fail overs listed...
so you can list more than one url for each repo.  (See my below link for
Dag's repo, which has more that one URL).

If you wanted to add an new repo, for example Dag's repo, you could
create a new file (that ends in .repo) in /etc/yum.repos.d.  I name mine
(oddly enough) dag.repo :) ... it looks like this:

http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/dag.repo

To use Dag's repo (with gpgcheck=1) you have to import the key that Dag
uses to sign his packages.  If the package is signed with that key, you
know Dag built it.

Here is the instructions for importing Dag's key:
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B2

You also need to import the CentOS 4 key:
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=30