[CentOS] Re: OT - RPM queries [was Re: Firefox, Flash and Java on CentOS 4.1 x86-64]

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Mon Aug 15 12:33:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 08:08 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > I agree with OT, your post had little use for someone who
> > uses CentOS.

I disagree, for the reasons Bryan gives here:

> I was trying to find out how to best spit out what i386 RPMs
> I had loaded on x86-64 and is VERY APPLICABLE TO THOSE OF US
> RUNNING DESKTOPS/WORKSTATIONS WHERE WE NEED I386 BINARY
> COMPATIBILITY!!!
>
> Maybe some of you have not yet experienced the x86-64 port,
> but x86-64 binaries canNOT call i386 libraries/plug-ins and
> vice-versa.

This is very much on-topic for this list.  In fact, it's the main reason
I read it.

> At this point, I am going to *** HORDE MY KNOWLEDGE ***
> because I'm sick and tired of the IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE
> who think something is off-topic when it's *CORE* to
> RHEL/CENTOS.

Please don't; just ignore the nitwits who don't realize that not
everyone is stuck using i386. ;-)

And thanks for posting that list of "off-road" rpms needed for decent
browsing on x86_64.