[CentOS] Firefox and Java on CentOS 4.1

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:59:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 15:43, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > > That just doesn't make sense. while I understand this is the place we
> > > find ourselves, it doesn't make sense that one OSS platform cannot do a
> > > simple thing with another OSS platform.
> >
> > Ah, if only Java were OSS.
>
> Alan has pointed out ... and I will reiterate it, just in case anyone
> doesn't know.
>
> Java is _NOT_ open source ... and it can not be redistribute with out a
> license from Sun.  We can not distribute it via a free distro.
>
> MP3 also requires a royalty payment for every player distributed, and
> therefore can not be distribute by CentOS.
>
> While I personally am not happy about either of those situations, we
> (The CentOS Project) do follow the laws for distribution of software.

I thought somewhere back a few days in this thread it was stated that
the problem was solved by adding a symlink in the right place.  So,
even though you can't include java, it might be possible to make
it work correctly when  someone does install their copy legally
without having to guess where it landed and where the rest of the
distribution expects it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com