[CentOS] Re: RedHat changes to remove file system support

Fong Vang sudoyang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 00:06:54 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/05, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/15/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Did you even UAGDSE before posting this?
> > >
> > > http://www.google.com/search?q=reiserfs+centos
> >
> > Of course (this is standard procedure now :).
> >
> > CentOS plus contains the kernel and rpm to support other journaling
> > file systems such as ReiserFS and XFS, however, this is not integrated
> > into kickstart which means one would have to completely install the
> > system first then add the kernel and tools after the system has come
> > up (this requires two reboots: (1) boot the system after kickstart (2)
> > install the new kernel to support other ReiserFS/XFS then reboot
> > before a file system can be created using the newly supported file
> > system.
> >
> > I'm looking for the changes that RedHat did to remove support of
> > non-ext3 file systems.  I can re-add the support myself, but I'm just
> > wondering if anyone has done it or has knowledge as to what exactly
> > RedHat did to remove support of XFS/ReiserFS (especially since these
> > are supported by Fedora which RHEL is based on).
> >
> > The more interesting question is, could the Fedora Anaconda code
> > simply replace the RHEL Anaconda code?
> >

> Great - now your question is fully flushed out and people are more
> likely to be able to help you.  Before it wasn't clear what you were
> looking for, especially since this support was recently added to the
> CentosPLUS kernel (certainly not to me and probably noone else so
> noone has answered your question).  I'm not trying to be flip, but a
> question as broad as you stated it is really not answerable unless
> someone is psychic and can read your mind :)

I thought my question was very specific: what did RedHat remove from
Anaconda to remove support for other journaling system except ext3
considering RHEL is based on Fedora?  You just kinda assume I didn't
do the due deligence to find on a search engine first.

Okay, let me state it again more clearl.  I'm looking for a way to
directly support other journaling file systems (not just ext3) in
Anaconda itself.  Just wondering if anyone has done it already.  If
not, I can do it myself, that's fine.