[CentOS] Re: RedHat changes to remove file system support

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Tue Aug 16 01:03:13 UTC 2005

Fong Vang wrote:

>I thought my question was very specific: what did RedHat remove from
>Anaconda to remove support for other journaling system except ext3
>considering RHEL is based on Fedora?  You just kinda assume I didn't
>do the due deligence to find on a search engine first.
>
>Okay, let me state it again more clearl.  I'm looking for a way to
>directly support other journaling file systems (not just ext3) in
>Anaconda itself.  Just wondering if anyone has done it already.  If
>not, I can do it myself, that's fine.

Well, the Red Hat kernel is not compiled to support JFS or ReiserFS.
You will need to either adapt the CentOSPlus kernel, or roll your own.
I've noticed that the kernel on the install CDs does act differently
than the one included with the distribution, so you might want to roll
your own, or at least figure out what the differences are before trying.

On top of this, you will need to make modifications to anaconda to
support the new filesystems.  For all I know this could be just adding
them to a hash table or something in the code.

And in order for anaconda to work properly, you'll need the userspace
tools for those added filesystems.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done it already.  CentOS is trying to stay
as close to RHEL as possible to permit the interoperability of software,
but I don't see any reason a distro can't spin off.

Just my $0.02 (where's the cents button these days?)

--Shawn