[CentOS] [OT] IBM JRE for CentOS Plus/Extras?, JPackage, etc... -- Firefox and Java on CentOS 4.1

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 16 14:47:55 UTC 2005

DISCLAIMER:  Off-topic, useless to CentOS, killfile me, etc...

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 09:06 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Actually, that's not the problem.
> For at least the JRE (not sure about the JDK) on Windows and Solaris,
> Sun allows free redistribution.  On Linux, Sun does not ...
> But yes, it would be nice to see Java, at least the JRE, released under
> at least a MPL-like license, removing this non-sense.  It's the only
> area where IBM has been "more community friendly" than Sun.**

With that said, has anyone looked at building a RPM for the IBM JRE for,
say, CentOS Plus and/or Extras?  I know it's not quite as compatible,
but I believe it is redistributable.  Unlike the Blackdown JRE, it's a
"clean room" design, so unless IBM inserts its own limitations, I
believe it's redistributable.

Otherwise, there _is_ the JPackage project, which has a package set for
RHEL 2.1, 3 and 4.  They use URPMI as the front-end, so consider
SmartPM.  I really need to document this for FC and RHEL/CentOS,
although I've gotta get more "play time" with it all (especially
stressing SmartPM) before I do.

  http://www.jpackage.org

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com