[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4.1 x86_64 compiler segfaults -- [OT] JEDEC DDR400 specifications

Remco Barendse redhat at barendse.to
Tue Aug 16 19:31:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> DISCLAIMER:  Off-topic, useless to CentOS, killfile me, etc...
>
> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 11:23 +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>> ... I for example have to reduce timing on one dual-core Athlon64 from
>> 1T to 2T or the box isn't stable even with lowered (manually) DDR-
>> speeds. Not even with BH-5 chips ...
>> The mobo here is DFI LanParty (something PCI-E) which has been happy
>> with 4x512MB dual-sided DDR-400 (should be reduced to 333 tho) after
>> diabling the 1T timings.
>
> Yes, you should either reduce your synchronous timings to DDR333
> (PC2700) or reduce the number of DIMMs to 1 per channel (2 total).
>
> JEDEC specifications only allow for 1 DIMM per DDR400 (PC3200) channel,
> or 2 DIMMs per DDR333/DDR266 (PC2700/PC2100) channel.
>
> The only exception is if you use registered DIMMs, which allows twice as
> many to be used.

OK, just nuked the box. Did a reformat and newly install of CentOS 4.1. No
changes to the BIOS or mem timings or anything. Now I am able to compile.

Guess it wasn't a timing problem. The box was horribly slow too, tarring
and gzipping 600 mb took about 2 hours. The box has been on the internet
without a firewall for approx 30 minutes, could it be r00ted that quick?