[CentOS] Are these steps for re-installing Gnome correct/safe?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 17 03:00:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 11:46 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >mkdir ~/gnome-backup-$(date +%F) && mv ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus
> >~/.gconf/apps/metacity ~/.gnome* ~/gnome-backup-$(date +%F)
> >
> Okay, so if I understand these commands correctly, this will back up my
> current Gnome settings in case anything goes horribly wrong.
>
> But I still need to know if the steps I intend to take are correct:
>
> 1. Stop X (By running telinit 3 at a command prompt?)
> 2. Use YUM to remove Gnome and KDE (#yum remove gnome kde?)
> 3. Use YUM to install Gnome (#yum install gnome?)
> 4. restart X (#telinit 5?)
>
> I'm a newbie, and if I get to the command line and something goes wrong,
> I won't be able to easily get back to a GUI interface, and then I won't
> be able to access email or the web to seek help. So I need a little
> guidance before I get in there and do these things so that I know I'll
> come out the other side.
----
Only do this if you are more interested in the learning experience than
the system and the data files.

Both GNOME and KDE store user data in the users home directory. If it's
default settings you are looking for...

cd ~
mv .gnome .gnome.bak
mv .gnome2 .gnome2.bak
mv .kde .kde.bak
mv .kde2 .kde2.bak

log in again and you will have default settings again...the backup in
case you have mail in evolution etc...

you need the libraries installed for both GNOME and KDE to run many of
the programs and a yum remove GNOME/KDE type action would be a monstrous
undertaking - taking out a massive amount of programs because of
dependencies.

Craig