[CentOS] Re: centos] [OT] IBM JRE for CentOS Plus/Extras?, JPackage, etc...

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 17 07:46:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
>> IBM already releases one.
> I assumed so.

> Is there any way the IBMJava2 package can be distributed in
> CentOS Plus and/or Extras?  BTW, I assume the compat-libs are
> already in CentOS itself?

There is both an IBM-variant JRE and the SDK, and a
communications add-in, etc ... As I am currently investigating
a differing behaviour between the Sun and IBM 1.4.2 variants,
I think it is probably wiser to suggest that the latest
stables be obtained directly from the upstream vendor from
time to time, and a site local archive maintained instead, to
install from.  That way one knows what one is working with.

> Any way to make these part of the post-install script?

It is certainly possible, as is a 'Requires:' to pull in the
needed packages.  They vary by name and availability between
CentOS 3 and 4, and a single .spec file would need to accound
for that.

A so-called dummy 'meta' RPM is the way to go.   I will put
one together and publish it on my site, and mention the URL
here.

-- Russ Herrold