[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Wed Aug 17 23:18:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the resume...
>
> I don't know how to take that, but just so you know ...
> That's only a _minority_ portion of my career (~4-5 years).

You're supposed to take it like half your post consisted of telling
everybody about your experience. Shouldn't your arguments stand on their
own feet, without the resume attachment?

BTW, you just did it again, pointing out that that was only one small
portion of your illustrious career.

> If you want my resume, I'll send it to you off-line.
> Until then, I point out things so people know where I'm
> coming from, and I understand many of their processes, not to
> be "arrogant."

It comes off as arrogant, at least to me. Your points should stand on
their own feet. If people don't get it, then what's the point?

> Why?  Because there's always people who have more
> credentials.
> If I wanted to flaunt my credentials, just me, I can get
> rediculous.  There's no need to do that, because we're all
> here to help each other, not to show "I am the authority" on
> something.

Except you just did it again. :-)

You don't want to flaunt your credentials, but then say if you did you
could get "rediculous". Or maybe that should be "ridiculous", I
was an English major after all, I wrote some pretty sweet papers. Whether
my extremely awesome command of spelling is the issue, isn't really the
issue. The issue is the irony of what you said. Or what I just said.
Nevermind...

> I'd rather people take me on the value of my actual technical
> statements -- and that has to be earned over _years_.

Yes. And those can stand alone from the resume part.

> Credentials are a "shortcut" that I despise.  So don't read
> into things when I point them out to show that I understand
> where people are coming from.
>
> Such as engineering processes.

That's fine. I was just trying to add levity to the discussion. This is a
mailing list that by and large is very pleasant. CentOS is a very pleasant
distro. It just works, well. I pointed out earlier how I tried Ubuntu and
had problems with the distro. Same with Fedora Core 4. It crashed on
install. And visit #freebsd on a GOOD night and you're likely to witness
some pretty surly behavior.

CentOS isn't like that. The community is practical and nice and really
pretty much focused on using the distro to get stuff done. It's an island
in the Linux world, IMHO. Relatively shielded from arguments about
licensing, good and evil, etc.

So the flaunting...? I found it both annoying and funny.

You can send me your resume, but I'd rather not read it here, nor in my
inbox.

Preston