[CentOS] xfs module not loading

Fong Vang sudoyang at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:35:26 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/18/05, James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com> wrote:
> > Fong Vang wrote:
> > > I'm trying to add XFS and ReiserFS to CentOS, integrating with
> > > Kickstart.  I think I'm fairly close.  I've added xfs.ko and
> > > reiserfs.ko to modules.cgz in initrd.  Several of my partitions now
> > > specify --fstype=xfs.  I can see tty5 mkfs.xfs is creating the XFS
> > > file systems.  The system currently installs completely via kickstart,
> > > but it does not mount the XFS file systems while in the kick process.
> > > /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab is populated correctly.
> > >
> > > In tty2, lsmod does not show that the xfs module is loaded (ext3 is in
> > > the list).  I tried loading it manually with modprobe and insmod but I
> > > don't think it's loading (no error message at all -- no error).
> > >
> > > BTW, as with Fedora, I also specified 'xfs' as an option to syslinux/pxelinux.
> > >
> > > What else am I missing?
> >
> > How did you add xfs.ko and reiserfs.ko to modules.cgz in initrd?
> >
> > By default, the initrd doesn't have any file system modules - they are
> > normally loaded at stage2 time
> >
> > The way I've got XFS to work is to make sure the xfsprogs and XFS
> > enabled kernel RPMS are in the distribution tree - you might need to add
> > xfsprogs to the CentOS/base/comps.xml file (not sure if it is required,
> > as I think anaconda will install it anyway if xfs is selected at install
> > time) and then rebuild your installer ... which is easier said than
> > done, but basically involves installing the anaconda-runtime RPM and its
> > dependencies and then running the various build scripts - which are all
> > given in http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt
>
> I figured out the same thing last night.  The reason why I added it to
> initrd is because ext3 exists there.  Looking more closely at the
> anaconda log, it wasn't able to find the xfs module.  I then added the
> XFS tools and module to stage2.  Anaconda is able to find it now; it
> even copies it to /tmp (same as other module).  The anaconda/loader
> log indicates that it's able to find the xfs module, but it's failing
> to load it (code 80).  Comparison of the modinfo information for both
> ext3.ko and xfs.ko look exactly the same (kernel identification).
>
> The xfs module is built manually.  I will try to build it using
> rpmbuild from the kernel src rpm and try it.

The module size is different when built from rpmbuild vs building
manually.  The module is still not loading.  This is the relevant
anaconda log entries:

   loaded xfs from /mnt/runtime/modules/modules.cgz
   failed to insert module (1)
   failed to insert /tmp/xfs.ko
   formatting /data as xfs

ls -l /tmp/xfs.ko:

  -rwxr--r--  1 root 0 579936 Aug 18  2005 /tmp/xfs.ko

modinfo of xfs.ko:

   filename:     /tmp/xfs.ko
   author:        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
numbers, no debug enabled
   license:       GPL
   vermagic:     2.6.9-11.EL 586 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
   depends: