[CentOS] Install help on proliant 8500 please..

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Sat Aug 20 05:06:36 UTC 2005

}
} Ok, here's what iam trying on,, a compaq proliant 8500 server with 8 xeon
} 550mhz processors, 6 gig ram,, i just installed centos 4.1 on a proliant
} 3000 dual 550's and 2 gig ram and went smooth as silk, just got the 8500
} and it seems to be in good order, but when i tried (twice) to install
} centos 4.1 it stalls shortly after a screen of stuff installing and the
} last two items are something about usb ports (no usb on this or the other
} server), i then tried fedora core 3 for just a test and it stalled like
} centos but on the ide/floppy line, i would really like to get centos 4.1
} installed on this machine so any help/insight would really be
} appreciated,,,
}
} chuck, a semi nube and a full webslave

Chuck,

oops, i forgot in my first post to this... there could be an issue with
having 6 Gig RAM as well... i dont recall what it is right off the bat
though... maybe Bryan is around... i have read just about everyones
productive work on this list and i just dont remember what the largemem
issue was with greater than 2gig or 4 gig...

anyways, if my first suggestion doesnt work, please wait for Bryan and the
others to pick up on this thread...

let us know what happens with

linux text lowres nousb nousbstorage skipddc

and hopefully you wont have a memory issue until after the initial install
if at all.

kind regards,

 - rh