[CentOS] configuring a program vs installing rpms (giftui)

Dave Gutteridge

dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sat Aug 20 14:49:27 UTC 2005

I decided to try the program giFT, and went to their web site to see
what to do. It wasn't clear at first that any RPMs would be available,
so I tried installing it using configure, make, and make install.

It was only after trying to find a GUI interface, and I decided on
giFTui, that I discovered that RPMs were available. So I downloaded and
isntalled them, and then found an incon in my Applications menu.

Unfortunately, clicking on the menu to start giFTui doesn't start the
program. I get a little notice in the bottom of the screen saying that
giFTui is starting. And then it goes away and the program hasn't started.

Is it just that giFT, or giFTui, is unstable, or did I mess things up
with my previous attempts to manually install the program?

And is it possible for me to tell which is the problem?

Dave