[CentOS] CentOS4 and older megaraid - SOLVED?

William wlist-centos at kimballstuff.com
Sat Aug 20 21:39:33 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 15:02 -0600, William wrote:
>>  As I noted early in this
>>discovery, the normal linux installer does not allow this switch.
>
> ----
> sure it does - after you complete (or skip) the verify media process, if
> all you have is the RAID disks, system will stop and report that it was
> unable to find a suitable disk for installation and ask if you want to
> install any modules (this is the virtual equivalent of passing a 'linux
> dd' at boot). At that point, you can switch to a working command prompt
> (<Alt><F2>)
> ----

To clarify:  I'm installing with the original CentOS 4.0 release that
has an older 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL kernel.  I'm doing my best to balance your
instructions (apparently for CentOS 4.1 or perhaps newer CentOS 4.0
install images) against what I actually have on-hand.  This is tricky,
and one of my hurdles is that the linux installer really does not allow
Alt+F2 switching when in modes other than 'dd' or 'rescue'.  I found the
tuxyturvy page a long time ago and met that frustration very early.
Your 'linux rescue' note set me on the right track and things are
falling into place, slowly.

In any event, I boffed my first install attempt and I'm running the
whole process again.  I'll let the list know whether I get this to work
with CentOS 4.0.

Thanks, again, for the help!  :)

--
William Kimball, Jr.