[CentOS] CentOS4 and older megaraid - SOLVED

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 21 04:09:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 17:12 -0600, William wrote:
> I give.  My whole objective was to get this procedure to work on CentOS
> 4.0 with the oldest kernel, publish the procedure, then publish changes
> for each successive kernel update.  I can't get it to work with 4.0.  I
> can only assume this is either because I have the SC, not DC model, or
> because I can't seem to get the complete set of correct old kernel
> sources to compile against.
>
> In any event, it seems that other people are getting this to work with
> 4.1, so I'll give up my 4.0 ambition and just update with the pack.  I'm
> downloading the 4.1 isos now and I will start over from scratch when I
> have the new disks burned.  (This includes my original objective of
> producing a working driver disk that will solve this problem with
> relative ease for everyone else.)
>
> If I can make a working driver disk, I will start a new thread;
> otherwise, I will just confirm the procedure documented here.
-----
There's really nothing to it. I seriously doubt that being single
channel or dual channel has anything to do with it at all.

If you want megaraid.ko from 2.6.9-11EL-i686, 2.6.9-11EL-i586 and
2.6.9-11ELsmp-i686 I could probably upload them somewhere for you to
download but the process is quite simple and you really need to get it
down so you don't rely upon others every time the kernel updates.

If you put them on a vfat floppy, they work.

The issue really is, you need an install already functioning to install
the matching kernel-devel to build the modules.

Craig