[CentOS] Has anyone got dvd::rip to work in CentOS?

Ajay Sharma ssharma at revsharecorp.com
Sun Aug 21 19:31:40 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I feel like Im chasing my own tail round and round in trying to install
> dvd::rip. Installing the RPM just gets me lost in a world of
> dependancies. I tried installing manually and all I get is the following:
> [dave at localhost ~]$ /usr/bin/dvdrip
> Can't locate Locale/TextDomain.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi...
>
> ... and it goes on and on.
>
> By chance has anyone installed this successfully?

There are a lot of desktop-related questions showing up, it's Sunday so
I figured I would share my opinion on the topic.

I hate to say it but CentOS isn't really built for this kinda desktop
stuff.  dvd ripping/authoring/burning is still a pretty fast moving
target so software is always changing and so are the dependencies.
CentOS's place (IMO) is on the server where you don't want fast moving
software, but reliable stuff that "Just Works".

You're better off using a desktop geared distro like Ark, Ubuntu or
Gentoo.  My desktop is Gentoo and all my servers are CentOS.

To answer your question, it looks like you need the Locale::TextDomain
perl module.  You can install it using CPAN if you can't find a RPM:

perl -MCPAN -e shell
[a bunch of stuff about configuring the cpan interface if you've never
done it before]
install Locale::TextDomain

That should do it...

--Ajay