[CentOS] Re: Has anyone got dvd::rip to work in CentOS?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 13:09:45 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:
> This war of analogies is getting a little silly, but you're
> still not convincing me.

It's not a "war of analogies."

Your analogy of starting a car everytime you want to drive
was direct to that you install Linux everytime you want to
use it.

> No, one doesn't build the car every time they drive it.
> But they will never drive it if it never got built.

That's why it's best if you get Linux pre-installed, like you
do Windows.

Here's a Windows mission for you -- go install Windows XP
64-bit Edition.  It's about as equivalent to Windows NT of
yesteryear, same issue with lack of hardware and application
compatibility (although they are using a hack, like early NT
did called "WoW" and it runs 32-bit apps like crap when it
does).  Now look at how much hardware doesn't _work_ let
alone how many applications do not _run_.

The issues you are having with Linux is not unheard of for
those of us who supported Windows NT from 1993+.

> You can say that "users" get a pre-built car every time or
> whatever, but so what? I'm not "users" in general. I am a
> specific user who already has a computer that I want to us.
> When it comes to Ubuntu, there were no pre-built options
> available to me.

Not true!  You have several options:
1.  Buy a PC with Linux pre-installed
2.  Find a local Linux User Group (LUG) and attent one of
their meetings and/or InstallFests

You can't get #1 easily because Microsoft virtually prevents
all tier-1 OEMs from selling Linux as standard (don't get me
started on the little known 2000 Dell fiasco).  So most
people buy tier-2 or whitebox.

Otherwise, if you've already got a computer, #2 is a great
option!

> The only way I can get Ubuntu on my system is to use the
> install discs available from them (or from mirror sites).

Again, I'd try to find a local Linux User Group (LUG).
They have experts that can help you in-person.

> They didn't work. I only have one computer, so what
> does it matter if other computers or other users have
> pre-built options?

Yes!  It gets you to actually _using_ Linux.  My #1
recommendation is not to "look around for distros."  Don't
ask about distros and _ignore_ people who talk about them.

My #1 recommendation to anyone new to Linux is to "pair up"
with someone local to them who uses their computer for the
same things you do, only with Linux.  Have them install the
distro they have (whatever it may be), and help you configure
all hardware and software you want.  The great thing about
installing the same distro as them is that you'll get the
best tech support.

Later on, when you are more experienced in using Linux
(because installing is _not_ using, just like assembling a
card is _not_ driving it), then you can start getting into
the hardware/installation issues.  But if you try to tackle
that early on, with all the terminology differences and
superstore hardware compatibility issues (let alone software
building details), you'll just get frustrated.

This is _no_ different than someone new to Windows
NT/2000/2003.  You _can_ use NT/2000/2003 as a desktop too.

> My only option in this instance is the Ubuntu installer.
> Which didn't work.
> So my analogy, that a car that does not get built does not
> get driven is perfectly applicable.... to me.

Correct.  Which is why you don't assemble your car, you rely
on someone else.  See my analogy?