[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core (release dates slipping)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 13:20:29 UTC 2005

Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com> wrote:
> This is planned ... they are working on integrating yum
> with installer so that they can lighten down the install
> disks and use fedora extras during install time.   There
> was a "vote" on extending FC5 release so that the installer
> and other changes that could not be done piecemeal between
> FC 5 & 6 could be done.

Oh, I wasn't questioning it.  Someone had previously
mentioned (like I've heard countless times) that Fedora Core
is released on an "epoch" (time) basis.  I was just further
pointing out that such statements are not true at all.
Fedora Core is released after the Development/Rawhide to
Test/Beta cycle is completed, and _not_ before.

Furthermore, too many people don't realize that Fedora Core
is compared to Red Hat Enterprise Linux on the Red Hat/Fedora
pages, and _not_ Red Hat Linux prior.  A lot of pundits like
to bring that up.  There are virtually _no_ comparisons
between Fedora Core and Red Hat Linux on the pages, because
Red Hat Linux is gone.  The few times you'll see anything is
when they talk about lineage and the "logical upgrade path."

> Yes it looks that way, I was going to comment on the fact
> the last time you mentioned the 6-6-6 cycle.  I figured it
> was not important enough to start a discussion about.
> From my personal observation of the fedora-devel list its
> seeming like RHEL 5 will be based on FC 5 with some
> add-ons/fixes.

Yep.  Although I'd really like to see them go back to
revisions, even if it means only a .0 and .1.  But that's
another story.

Sorry I brought up this tangent, but I thought it was
important to correct a lot of assumptions that had come up
prior -- including showing that the Fedora Core team has no
problem not meeting dates to ship a quality release.