[CentOS] Re: Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 14:45:05 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
> I normally don't use Linux for desktop usage.

I can't stand anything but GNOME ever since it hit 1.053
many, many years ago.  And before then, Feeble95 did the
jobbie too.

> However, I recently set up a CentOS 4.1 system
> specifically to use as a "windows replacement"
> desktop system.  I haven't had a minute's trouble with it
> and have been happily using it to watch movies, rip CDs,
> edit/consume M$ Office documents, create some artwork with
> the Gimp, etc.  To date, I haven't found anything I *can't*
> do with it (except cause it to crash....Windows has that
> contest locked up...ooh...ugly pun...OK, I'm going now).
> 8-)

There is something to be said for running Freedomware on
Windows.  If a user is considering going back to Windows,
maybe it's best they get familar with, and all there data
over into, Freedomware format from Windows before they
attempt Linux again.

Sometimes Linux for Linux's sake can be a bad move.  As a
good colleague of mine always said (who is a MacOS X user of
many, many Freedomware apps), people use applications, not
OSes.