[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 yum update just hangs

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Mon Aug 22 16:40:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Kevin Anderson wrote:

> I've had this exact same problem, and I uninstalled yum reinstalled it
> and it work for a day and then back to the same.  I've also had it
> working temporarily by doing a yum clean-all then yum makecache.  But
> next day it went back to doing the same old hang up.  I'm not sure if
> this is a yum problem or a centos problem.

ok this is definitely not a hardware problem that I have.

This is definitley some kind of bug.

My environment is

1*SATA drive
2*AMD opteron x86_64

CentOS 4.1 installed from DVD

after running yum update the box becomes completely useless,
I have seen kernel messages reporting EXT3 problems.

after running yum update I see on the console.

ATA3 BUG: timout without command.

I have 25 identical boxes that I would like to install CentOS on, but I
cannot update without the boxes becoming useless. CentOS-3 worked
perfectly fine.