[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Aug 22 19:55:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Barry L. Kline wrote:

> Timothy wrote:
> >  Like has been mentioned before on this list centos is really geared toward
> > the server market (stability) and when you load all these multimedia apps
> > you give up some of that because of
>
> I wouldn't say it's geared to toward the server market as much as it's geared
> to the business desktop or server market.  I use my desktops for development
> and moved from Fedora to CentOS just so I wouldn't have to keep upgrading the
> OS just to keep current with patches.  But you are right -- you can easily
> install many of the "bleeding edge" packages if you so desire.  The only
> difference is that you then take on the responsibility of keeping them updated
> yourself.

I want to add to this, that adding multimedia apps do not impact the
stability of the system in se. The applications themselves may not be that
well tested, but they should not cause additional instability to the
system itself. If they do, there's bug that has been there before that got
triggered, and might get triggered in similar circumstances.

The responsibility of updating software of course is your own, much like
when you use tarballs or unsupported distributions.

BTW Stability is as important in the desktop world as it is in the server
world, the only difference is that in the desktop world you can trade it
for eye-candy, if you crave that.

Kind regards,