[CentOS] YUM is seriously fubar

Mon Aug 22 20:39:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 21:47 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 20:31 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > > Beware though, removing the __db.* files (a cache) should be sufficient.
> > > You do not have to run rpm --rebuilddb if the cause of the poblem was the
> > > corrupt cache.
> > > Also, do NOT attempt to run rpm --rebuilddb with a corrupt cache in place,
> > > because this may cause your rpmdb to get corrupted. Often people complain
> > > that rpm --rebuilddb did not solve their rpmdb problems,
> >
> > Yep, AFAIK, --rebuilddb hasn't been required since the original RPM 4.1
> > (was it?) of Red Hat Linux (RHL) 8.  Can you confirm that DAG?
>
> I can't. I just know JBJ often repeated the warning. Also, cache
> corruption should not happen on a stable system anymore. Those bugs have
> been fixed. But if you do encounter this, try to reproduce, check you
> hardware and then contact JBJ.
>

> > > while in fact rpm --rebuilddb corrupted the rpmdb. And a mere removal of
> > > the cache (__db.*) was sufficient to solve the problem.
> > > You have been warned :)

You definitely do not want to rebuild the database if the cache is
present.

I have not had any issues rebuilding the database if the cache is
deleted.

It is a good thing to check and see if your problem is fixed before
running --rebuilddb though, because sometimes just removing the cache
can fix the issue.

A reboot will also normally clear the cache